Engineers come and go on projects. Getting an individual up to speed takes time. With some experiments and listening to retros, this seems to be a good start.
- Explain a high level view of architecture and provide relevant docs.
- Provide the individual a task/ticket but only to implement the business logic.
- Both work on main test cases definitions including a single happy path and possible exceptions.
- Leave all external dependencies as
throw new NotImplementedException();to be done once after the business logic. Using dependency injection and/or dependency provider pattern has worked for me.
- Have the individual do a pull request early to give feedback in an async matter from a senior engineer. No longer than 1 week seems appropriate.
- Provide pair programming / code swarming / office hours in a regular cadence.